Implant-supported Fixed Prostheses in the Edentulous Maxilla. A 2-year Clinical and Radiological Follow-up of Treatment with Non-submerged ITI Implants

DSpace Repository

Implant-supported Fixed Prostheses in the Edentulous Maxilla. A 2-year Clinical and Radiological Follow-up of Treatment with Non-submerged ITI Implants

Show full item record

Files for download

Find Full text There are no files associated with this item.

Facebook

Simple item record

Publication Article, other scientific
Title Implant-supported Fixed Prostheses in the Edentulous Maxilla. A 2-year Clinical and Radiological Follow-up of Treatment with Non-submerged ITI Implants
Author(s) Bergkvist, Göran ; Sahlholm, Sten ; Nilner, Krister ; Lindh, Christina
Date 2004
English abstract
OBJECTIVES: To evaluate the survival rate of non-submerged solid-screw ITI dental implants with a rough (titanium plasma sprayed, TPS) surface in the edentulous maxilla after 1 and 2 years of loading. MATERIAL AND METHOD: Twentyfive patients (mean age 64 years) with edentulous upper jaws received five-seven implants and, after a mean healing time of 6.9 months, screw-retained implant-supported fixed prostheses. A total of 146 ITI solid screw TPS implants were inserted. The diameter of 56% of the implants was smaller (3.3 mm) than the standard (4.1 mm) and the diameter of the rest (44%) was standard. The bone quantity of the majority of the patients was low and the bone quality poor. Clinical parameters were registered at baseline and at two annual follow-ups. Radiological examinations and assessments were also made at these times. RESULTS: Mean marginal bone level at baseline was measured at a point 4.52 mm (range 1.45-7.70, SD 1.2) apical of the reference point. Mean bone loss from baseline to 1 year of loading was 0.24 mm (SD 0.9, P=0.002) and from 1 year to 2 years of loading 0.15 mm (SD 0.4, P<0.001). Five implants failed, four of which were early failures prior to loading. One implant failed shortly after bridge installation. The cumulative survival rate was 96.6% after 1 and 2 years. CONCLUSION: ITI TPS solid-screw implants in combination with fixed prostheses had successful survival rates and were found to be a viable treatment alternative in the edentulous maxilla.
DOI http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0501.2004.01017.x (link to publisher's fulltext)
Host/Issue Clinical oral implants research;3
Volume 15
ISSN 0905-7161
Pages 351-9
Language eng (iso)
Subject(s) Medicine
Research Subject Categories::ODONTOLOGY::Oral prosthetics
Handle http://hdl.handle.net/2043/2983 (link to this page)

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record

Search


Browse

My Account

Statistics